GETTING SNOWBOARD OF OLD SKI EQUIPMENT?
It is estimated that every year in Australia we use around 1000t of snow sports gear. Much of this equipment has a linear life and unwanted or worn-out items are eventually discarded into landfills. This winter in Australia the snow sports community can take part in the Game On Recycling pilot to help change this linear life to a circular one.
Shifting to a circular economy supports carbon emission reductions and reduces impacts on the natural environment and our health.
Game On Recycling is co-funded by the Australian Government's National Product Stewardship Investment Fund, Australia and New Zealand Recycling Platform (ANZRP) and Wilson Sporting Goods Co.
The pilot is aiming to collect 5,000kg of ski equipment including skis, ski poles, snowboards, plastic taboggans, snow sport helmets, visors and boots.
Snow sports equipment is often very complex in its design and varies greatly in the materials used and bound together. Game On Recycling is working with researchers to granulate equipment collected into different composites and see what new products these materials can be used for in Australian manufacturing.
Game On Recycling needs the Australian winter sports community to get behind the project so we have sufficient material to process and inform a nation-wide product stewardship scheme that keeps sports equipment out of landfills. You can drop off to the 2022 Winter Season collection locations below or simply spread the word!
- Amer Sports Outlet Store, 9 Chifley Drive Moorabbin Airport VIC
- Bumps Snowsports store, Elsternwick, Melbourne VIC
- Mt Buller Village public drop-off bin (coming soon)
- Vail Resorts: Each Mountain has in-person drop offs to staff at the counter
- Mt Hotham:
- Hotham Sports Rentals, Hotham Central Great Alpine Roadd, Hotham Heights VIC
- Hotham Sports Dinner Plain, 4 Big Muster Drive, Dinner Plain VIC
- Falls Creek:
- Homebase - 17 Bogong High Plains Road, Falls Creek VIC
- Base One - 27 Falls Creek Road, Falls Creek VIC
- Perisher Valley - Perisher Centre Lower Arcade NSW
- Bullocks Flat - Bullocks Flat Skitube Terminal NSW
Game On Recycling also collects inflates, rackets and tennis balls as part of the pilot and this can be arranged via other collection centres and post back schemes. Please visit the website for more information.
Product stewardship supports ongoing responsibility for end-of-life materials, bringing materials into a circular vs linear economy. This shift to the circular economy supports carbon emission reductions and reduced impacts on the natural environment and our health.
The more of the sports industry that is involved at the pilot phase, the more information will be gathered to support a permanent scheme that works for people, planet and profit.
To find out more, visit the Game On Recycling website: https://gameonrecycling.com.au/